Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Hindu (India): Army officer accused of duping Afghan woman

http://www.hindu.com/2008/12/30/stories/2008123053310400.htm

Army officer accused of duping Afghan woman
Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008
Staff Reporter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sabra claims to have married Major Chandrasekhar Pant in Kabul two years ago
She is being supported by the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW DELHI: Accusing a Major in the Indian Army’s Medical Corps of marrying and then deserting her, Afghan national Sabra on Monday met Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram to put forth her complaint and seek justice.

Sabra, who claims to have married Major (Dr.) Chandrasekhar Pant in Kabul two years ago, after he converted to Islam, alleges that she was unaware that Major Pant had a wife and two children back home.

Speaking to media persons on Monday, Sabra recalled that she met Major Pant during his stint as a doctor at the Indira Gandhi Hospital run by the Indian diplomatic mission in Kabul where she worked as a translator.

“I was initially attached as a translator to another doctor, but Major Pant asked for my services as he seemed unhappy with his translator. During the course of time he asked for my hand in marriage, but my parents refused on the ground that we were from different religions and he was much older than me,” she said.

Turned down by her parents, Sabra claims the doctor went on to change his religion and took on the name Himmat Khan. “When he changed his religion for the sake of getting married to me, my parents were led into believing that he was truly committed. And since he was a doctor, they felt by marrying us off they could secure my future,” said Sabra who is being supported by the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students’ Union.

According to Sabra, the marriage was solemnised in November 2006. “After 15 days of living together, he told me that he has to go to India on work and that he will return in a year’s time with his parents,” she said.

The wait stretched to two years and Sabra decided to come to India to seek out her husband. On landing in India, Sabra went to the Army Hospital in Pithoragarh where the Major is currently posted. “I told him that he should either come with me to Afghanistan and I will have no qualms if his family accompanies him there or he should let me stay here with him or grant me divorce in front of the people who got us married. Since he is unwilling to agree to any of these, I have decided to seek justice from the Government of this country,” said Sabra. Having made several representations, including one for an extension of her visa, Sabra’s hopes now rest on the Home Ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment